Welcome guest! Please consider registering to join the discussion and participate in site-wide game events. You'll also gain access to additional subforums and features. We hope to see you around. Thank you for visiting!

Note: If you've previously registered and can't log in, please use the 'Forgot Password' function. Thanks!

General Film Discussion

ENDLESS TRASH!!!

Discuss all motion picture, small-screen, and Internet video media here.
Solar Kitten
Tokens:  0

General Film Discussion

Post by Solar Kitten » 11 months ago

On 11/23/2018 at 9:38 AM, Fretless said:

<div class="ipsEmbeddedVideo">

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgRpLPzFZqg

1. This looks absolutely dreadful.

2. These things are popular enough to warrant a movie?

In the same vein

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-C1ys02wlU

At first glance, it looks like a LEGO Movie rip-off created specifically to compete with the sequel next year, but plotwise it seems closer to a Jumanji rip-off. Man, 2019 is shaping up to be a big year for movies based on toys.

patriciasqueakylips

Post by patriciasqueakylips » 11 months ago

Honestly, two of the best movies of all time: Forrest Gump and The Silence of the Lambs. While you'll typically never see the two in the same sentence, think about it.

They both elicit such strong emotional reactions from their audiences. They're still talked about to this day. The level of depth that had to be explored and developed upon to even consider putting these ideas into practice? Absolutely stunning.

10/10

TheOneManBoxOffice
Tokens:  482

Post by TheOneManBoxOffice » 11 months ago

On 12/14/2018 at 10:53 PM, Solar Kitten said:

<div class="ipsEmbeddedVideo">

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-C1ys02wlU

At first glance, it looks like a LEGO Movie rip-off created specifically to compete with the sequel next year, but plotwise it seems closer to a Jumanji rip-off. Man, 2019 is shaping up to be a big year for movies based on toys.

What's next? A Mega Blocks movie? Lincoln Logs? Beanie Babies?

MAZZ0Murder
Tokens:  135

Post by MAZZ0Murder » 11 months ago

Playmobil always felt like a poor man's Legos... so they decided to make a poor man's movie of it...?

Otherwise I never got around to Moonlight, but apparently If Beale Street Could Talk is a sequel? And up for best picture... I wonder how many movies and their sequels have been nominated like that before...

I had to look up that The Shape of Water (A.k.a. Creature of the Black Lagoon's Pants) won last year as for some reason I could not recall the 2018 Academy Awards even happened... lol...

Nozdordomu

Post by Nozdordomu » 11 months ago

3 hours ago, MAZZ0Murder said:

Otherwise I never got around to Moonlight, but apparently If Beale Street Could Talk is a sequel?

Not really. It's an adaptation of a James Baldwin book, and it has nothing to do with Moonlight aside from the director being the same. Anyway, I'm a big fan of both Baldwin and Moonlight, so I'm excited to see it.

MAZZ0Murder

49 minutes ago, Nozdordomu said:

Not really. It's an adaptation of a James Baldwin book, and it has nothing to do with Moonlight aside from the director being the same. Anyway, I'm a big fan of both Baldwin and Moonlight, so I'm excited to see it.

Oh... then some moron didn't know that and claimed it was a sequel XD

MAZZ0Murder

Double post I know but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvXzEhXujxA

It does exist!

Starring Thor's younger brother, Qui-Gon Jinn, and... VALKYRIE!
Last edited by MAZZ0Murder 11 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Mæstro

Post by Mæstro » 10 months ago

It does not sit well with me when movies, whose stories are fictional but are set in the real world in modern times, include genuine, often dramatic news footage. These are put in for sake of adding a sense of actuality, that gripping "this could be happening now" effect to film. My problem is that it simply feels exploitative?

For example: A friend of mine and I watched "Oldboy" some time ago. The movie, a psychological thriller from 2003, revolves around a man who's kidnapped and held fifteen years captive in what appears to be a hotel room. During his attemped break-out sequence, the screen is vertically split in half. The left field shows the protag slowly digging through a wall as the years pass. Simultaneously the right hand side plays a montage of events that really did happen in the years 1988-2003: I remember seeing newspaper headlines of Princess Diana's death, a plane striking one of the WTC towes, and miscellaneous war footage that I could not place. None of those topics were mentioned again.

Now, I understand why the filmmakers chose to include this. The montage does illustrate what can happen in such a long span of time--it's relevant to the plot that the protag's only insight into the outside world is whatever he sees on TV--alongside, of course, plain old shocking the viewers by invoking real, contemporary horrors. But I just can't agree that including such footage was okay. I would have respected the filmmakers more if they had not resorted to such. They reduced powerful real world tragedies quite distastefully.

Besides, in a twist of irony, in having shown that montage in its first part, the rest of the movie's torture scenes were sort of undermined because their shock value had already been challenged.

This post might beget an interesting question: Do you believe that some footage should be reserved for strictly documentary purposes? Or is your viewpoint rather that creators should exercise the freedom to make use of such content on artistic grounds? I'd love to hear what you people think.

TheOneManBoxOffice
Tokens:  482

Post by TheOneManBoxOffice » 10 months ago

It doesn't really bug me that much, but if they're trying to use real-life news footage as a key point in the film, unless it is a biopic or a film based on a true story, the filmmakers should consider just having that in the background and/or just omit it, and instead have whatever is showing the footage show something else (i.e. some random movie or TV show).
Last edited by TheOneManBoxOffice 10 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

TechnoCookie
Tokens:  1 934

Post by TechnoCookie » 1 week ago

Barnyard is probably second to The Room for the best "so bad it's good" movie.

Normally when I'm watching a movie I'm like "Okay, I'm gonna analyze every little detail of this flick. I need to know what the crew did right and wrong and form my opinion based off of that"

Then I watch Barnyard and I turn my brain off completely and endure the insanity. 

Fair Food Connoisseur Fall Spirit MM Marathon: Participant CC: Rattle Battle