Welcome guest! Please consider registering to join the discussion and participate in site-wide game events. You'll also gain access to additional subforums and features. We hope to see you around. Thank you for visiting!

Note: If you've previously registered and can't log in, please use the 'Forgot Password' function. Thanks!

Banjo-Kazooie in Smash (Guh-huhposting General)

Where great and mighty grand champions can discuss all matters of gaming.

Discuss all things video games here.
Carmilla
Tokens:  1 278

Banjo-Kazooie in Smash (Guh-huhposting General)

Post by Carmilla » 1 month ago

Since the character is so fresh, I wanted to talk more about first impressions and thoughts on the character. We're not Smashboards or anything but I've got a pet interest in competitive Smash, so the tournament potential of BK really fascinates me. I don't have any data on hand, but he seems heavier than he looks, and his tilts are incredible pokes due to how long Kazooie is. Same story for his F-Smash, which gets me every time because it's just a little bit longer than I think it is. His FAir is a cannon akin to Dr. Mario's, too, jesus what a move, and his UAir is a monstrous juggler. Oh, and his DThrow buries, because of course Smash Bros. needs another Rare-made fighter who can put you in the ground and smack the stock out of you.

As for Wonderwing, I'm surprised at how balanced the move is. It's invincible and hits like a truck, yeah, but it can 1) be interrupted during start-up, 2) get grabbed out of, 3) be jumped over, and 4) has a ton of endlag. Its best use definitely feels like either catching landing opponents or returning to stage instead of bumrushing the opponent. It feels weird that Banjo isn't as busted as the other DLC characters, if he was maybe Wonderwing wouldn't have so many drawbacks.

What do you think of the neutral special, shooting eggs? On the surface it seems bad, but the single lobbed egg projectile is really reliable; I wonder if good use will ever be discovered for the walking mode, other than being a pest.

Event Organizer

Mia
Tokens:  1 543

Post by Mia » 1 month ago

It was a huge missed opportunity to have the Grunty spirit represented by Bayonetta

MM Marathon: Participant CC: Rattle Battle

Nelson340
Tokens:  60

Post by Nelson340 » 1 month ago

Mia wrote:
1 month ago
It was a huge missed opportunity to have the Grunty spirit represented by Bayonetta

I say Bayonetta should've shown up if you've taken too long trying to beat Dedede.

Carmilla

Nelson340 wrote:
1 month ago
Mia wrote:
1 month ago

I say Bayonetta should've shown up if you've taken too long trying to beat Dedede. 
Lmao, that's such a brilliant idea. I would've loved that.

The Grunty spirit battle also made the choice to include "Vs. Klungo" but not "Vs. Gruntilda" even more egregious. "Vs. Klungo" is a great remix and I'm glad we got at least a few tracks from Banjo-Tooie, but seriously, why not the original final boss theme?

I'm also a little disappointed that we only got boss themes from Tooie, "Glitter Gulch Mine" especially would have even worked as-is without a remix. "Vs. Lord Woo Fak Fak" was...an interesting choice.

Event Organizer

WALLMAN
Tokens:  1 140

Post by WALLMAN » 1 month ago

I usually open with egg. It's a good ranged poke and destroys projectiles, which helps close the distance against spammers. I never bother with walking mode. Feels too clunky for it's own good. Down B can be tricky at times, but so satisfying to land when you're being chased.

Limited use special attacks don't normally sit right with me, and Wonderwing has 5 uses per stock with no regeneration, but it's gotten me out of plenty of jams. I'm trying to be less conservative with it, since it feels like a waste to lose a stock with feathers left.

Castlefania MM Marathon: Participant MM Marathon: Finisher MM Marathon: 2nd Place Cybersecurity Fail CC: Spike-Top Swamp CC: Rattle Battle CC: Daring Donut Drops CC: Bob-Omb Breakout CC: Neon Castle Coin Collector Champion

TehShadzify
Tokens:  105

Post by TehShadzify » 1 month ago

Actually didn't know the Wonderwing didn't regenerate. That's something I'll have to get down.
Meanwhile, I'm just happy my beautiful bear boy is in Smash. That's literally all I wanted for Smash Ultimate, besides maybe Conker now.

Castlefania

WALLMAN
Tokens:  1 140

Post by WALLMAN » 1 month ago

Anyone have any tips for edge guarding? Knocking someone off-stage is easy enough, but following through has always been the hardest thing to learn regardless of fighter. I'm still having trouble timing my F-airs, U-air has very little knockback, and D-air is a self-destruct. Being too scared to leave my comfort zone, the best I can do is rack up some more damage with eggs

Castlefania MM Marathon: Participant MM Marathon: Finisher MM Marathon: 2nd Place Cybersecurity Fail CC: Spike-Top Swamp CC: Rattle Battle CC: Daring Donut Drops CC: Bob-Omb Breakout CC: Neon Castle Coin Collector Champion

Carmilla

WALLMAN wrote:
1 month ago
Anyone have any tips for edge guarding? Knocking someone off-stage is easy enough, but following through has always been the hardest thing to learn regardless of fighter. I'm still having trouble timing my F-airs, U-air has very little knockback, and D-air is a self-destruct. Being too scared to leave my comfort zone, the best I can do is rack up some more damage with eggs
If you can get good at grabbing your own grenade egg, throwing it down just past the ledge can be a good way to set up ledge traps. You can also just dive in with NAir, since it's nearly untouchable (but I wouldn't try it unless you've got spare Wonderwings to get backstage). Speaking of, Wonderwing is a great edgeguard since the invincibility protects you from any recovery hurtboxes, it's extremely easy to line up against predictable recoveries, and the proximity to the blast zone means it'll kill very easily. But again, don't try it unless you've got at least one spare Wonderwing to make it back to the stage (or if you're really confident).

Event Organizer